Overview & Eligibility
Open Access is an initiative created by advocates in the New Markets Tax Credits (NMTC) industry to increase diverse representation in community development finance, with a focus on Black & Latinx communities.
The community development industry concentrates much of its efforts in minority communities across America, yet within the industry there is gross underrepresentation by Black and Latinx professionals, at all levels. Organizations working in these communities, therefore, may lack the proper cultural lens to understand how to best serve those communities. Further, in an industry that relies on career mentorship to advance, Black and Latinx professionals have lacked onboarding and promotional opportunities in this marketplace. Simply, many do not know what potential career opportunities exist or how to access them.
Provide access for diverse professionals to be trained for careers in the community development industry by:
- Partnering with Project REAP to source top tier candidates
- Providing access to curriculum through trainings, webinars and conference attendance sponsored by Novogradac
- Offering paid internships with industry participants (commitment of 160 hours over up to 3 month)
- Mentoring trained professionals for career growth opportunities
To increase the representation of diverse professionals at all levels, including (but not limited to) accounting, legal, finance, consultancy, and development
To lead by example and exhibit best practices within an industry that is dedicated to improving the lives of under resourced and underrepresented communities nationwide
To train talent to serve communities that have been disproportionately affected by the pandemic
- To offer a certification program that will serve as a credential for access to career opportunities in the community development industry
- To increase the representation of Black & Latinx professionals at all levels, including (but not limited to) accounting, legal, finance, consultancy, and development
- To lead by example and exhibit best practices within an industry that is dedicated to improving the lives of under resourced and underrepresented communities nationwide
- Create a replicable model for other sectors in community development
This is a highly selective program. To be eligible to participate fellows must meet the following criteria:
- Applicants must have a 4-year degree (or current graduating senior) from an accredited institution
- Applicants must demonstrate an interest in community development finance
There is no fee to participate. Open Access has sole responsibility in the screening and selection of accepted fellows.